‘Both absorbing and highly illuminating’ – THE BOOKSELLER
‘No one understands the intricacies of YouTube like Chris Stokel-Walker’ – THE ATLANTIC
Two billion people now watch YouTube, yet its stars are a mystery to the general public and media. What is the secret of their appeal? How do they cope with being in front of the lens? And who is behind their success?
More than 100 insiders laid bare the reality of their lives for this, the first in-depth independent book on YouTube. It charts the platform's rise from single home video to global boom – while getting the facts on brand deals, burnout and authenticity.
This is an ideal guide for anyone in universities, media or marketing who needs to understand YouTube professionally, and of course those who want to make it as a YouTuber.
By the author of TikTok Boom: China's Dynamite App and the Superpower Race for Social Media.
POWER AND BEGINNINGS
1. Uploading: Casey Neistat and the power of YouTube
2. Jake Paul: cars, money, and a burning swimming pool
3. Me At the Zoo: Jawed Karim and the worst video of all time
4. Viral comedy: YouTube laughs all the way to the bank
5. Grace Helbig and the first stars of vlogging
6. From Russia to Latin America: YouTube goes global
ENGINE ROOM: HOW YOUTUBE WORKS
7. The Algorithm: YouTube’s secret formula
8. Policing YouTube: extremism and the Adpocalypse
9. Sponsored content: the tale of Dodie Clark and Heinz beans
CHARTING THE STARS
10. Know your YouTube: elite, macro-influencer and micro-influencer
11. Elite influencers: fighting their way to the top
12. Child stars: meet MattyB, who gets two million views a day
13. Macro-influencers: beauty, crime and DIY
14. Micro-influencers: speaking to a devoted audience
BEHIND THE SCENES: SNAPSHOTS
15. Summer in the City: a gathering of the influencers
16. Collaboration: Sapphire builds a career
17. Management: Sarah Weichel, star agent
18. Training camp: with the 11-year-old YouTubers
19. YouTube school: with the adult entrepreneurs
CAUGHT IN THE MACHINE
20. Pranks for views: why Monalisa Perez shot her boyfriend
21. Authenticity: the fourth wall for YouTubers
22. Burnout: slaves to the algorithm
23. Fanatical fans: obsessive relationships
THE BATTLE FOR CONTROL
24. YouTubers found a union
25. Patreon: seeking independent support
26. Merchandise: from books to pop sockets
THE FUTURE: YOUTUBE v TV
27. Invasion of the Hollywood stars
28. Is YouTube killing traditional TV?
29. Online video war: YouTube v Facebook
30. A flawed winner
No one understands the intricacies of YouTube like Chris Stokel-Walker. His reporting on the platform and its creators has been ground breaking and unparalleled. ~The Atlantic
For anyone trying to understand the bonkers world of YouTube, this is essential reading . Full of entertaining dispatches from the front line of streaming, Stokel-Walker has written the preeminent guide to the new celebrity world - and what it means for the rest of us ~Esquire
Brilliant, witty and extraordinary... This is a must-read book for anyone who wants to truly understand the future of media, as well as the internet itself. ~MEL Magazine
If you want to understand the inner workings of your favourite YouTube influencers, or perhaps if you want to understand why your children are always talking about them, you should read this book. It is smart, sweeping, and significant. ~Youtube--Simon Clark
I am one of the many people Stokel-Walker interviewed for this first independent look at the world's biggest video site.
The title charts YouTube's meteoric rise from a single home video, explores its ecosystem, and attempts to explain what lies behind the extraordinary success of vloggers such as KSI, PewDiePie, Zoella and Logan Paul.
It's both absorbing and highly illuminating.